A flexible filler is needed to repair leather and vinyl upholstery that has:
- cuts, holes, and tears (see video below) or click here for holes larger than 2″ in diameter;
- rough, scaly or thinning areas where the suede is exposed (end of the video);
- damaged piping or welting;
- tears in perforated panels;
- cracking vinyl.
Repairing peeling bonded, bicast, and polyurethane leathers is not recommended. See why and our solution.
This video shows how to subpatch and repair a large hole as well as the scaly surroundings using Soft Filler.
- 00:30 – Cutting the subpatch
- 01:00 – Inserting the subpatch
- 01:20 – Glueing the subpatch
- 03:14 – Cleaning excess glue and readying the surface for repair compound
- 03:48 – Applying the leather filler, spreading, and feathering
- 05:16 – Dry time and how to tell when the filler has cured
- 06:22 – Sanding (we now recommend smoothing and feathering with rubbing alcohol)
- 06:58 – Additional layers of filler repair compound
- 08:32 – Texturizing and final sanding
- 09:41 – Recoloring the repaired area
Soft Filler is water-based. It is cured when no longer tacky and the moisture has fully evaporated. Cure time can be very slow, particularly in humid or cool climates. Using an incandescent bulb, heat lamp or direct sun are usually needed and recommended to speed dry time. Hair dryers are no longer advised, as they can blow moisture inward and prevent proper curing.
Rubbing alcohol can also be used to correct imperfections in the cured filler. Less is more, and you can always re-work the repair!
Print or download our free leather filler repair instructions here.
Click here for troubleshooting filler application.
|Type of Damage||Total Area of Damage||Filler Needed|
|Scaly, cracked, worn or thin but no large holes or voids||4 sq ft (2ft x 2 ft)||1 oz.|
|Scaly, cracked worn or thin but no large holes or voids||8 sq ft (2 ft x 4 ft)||2 oz.|
|Holes or tears (requires a subpatch & more layers of filler)||12 sq in (1 in x 1 ft)||1 oz.|
|Holes or tears (requires a subpatch & more layers of filler)||24 sq in (2 in x 1 ft)||2 oz.|