- 0:14 – Which color are you matching? Example of how leather fades
- 0:28 – Comparison of our stock colors to the original and faded leather
- 1:00 – Example of base-and-print finish
- 1:29 – Example of multi-toned, distressed, or antiqued finish
- 1:55 – Example of our Color Analysis service
- 2:15 – How to find a sample to send for matching
- 2:53 – Mailing address
An approximate match can be obtained by comparing color chips or swatches of leather-vinyl-specific finishes to the upholstery. Purchase swatches of our colors here.
For an exact match, colors must be formulated and tested directly on the upholstery. Local artisans can match the color, repair, and restore the item(s), but the cost can range anywhere from US$200 – US$2000, depending on the scope of the project. Alternatively, you can mail a sample (like a cushion case, head rest, or piece of material) to a professional service like Rub ‘n Restore, Inc. to DIY. Learn about our color matching services.
Consider these factors in matching your color:
- Every manufacturer has their own version of mahogany or ivory, for example. Don’t assume the color will match because the name is the same.
- Colors display differently on screens and devices. Do not accept a color matched from an image.
- Do you need an exact match to touch-up a small area? Or does the whole piece need refinishing, in which case a similar but inexact color will suffice?
- Swatches hidden under cushions or trimmed from the frame sometimes do not match undamaged, visible areas. In this case, a color formulated to match the swatch won’t match the greater piece. This means you may have to recolor the entire piece and might consider a standard color that incurs no matching fee.
Rub ‘n Restore, Inc. can match your color if you provide a sample and pay a fee. First, consider submitting a Project Evaluation to help us assess your needs.
Starter Color Analysis
This is the affordable color matching solution. We determine which colors and ratios best match your swatch. This allows you to buy as little as 2 oz. sizes and mix your own color. If we can’t get a good match with our off-the-shelf colors, we will suggest upgrading to the Advanced Matching & Custom Color service.
Or include a check with your swatch. We’ll contact you with the analysis results within 1-2 business days after receipt.
Colors and Clear Prep+Finish™ are sold separately. Please note that there may be a slight variation between our analysis and your results after mixing larger volumes of color. That being said, the color blends easily, and most folks are thrilled with the results. Just look at the reviews!
Advanced Matching & Custom Color
Custom Colors are recommended for bright primary or secondary colors, auto, RV, boat, and aircraft interiors. We formulate a unique color and keep a record of it on file. Turnaround time is 1-2 business days.
Our formulation process starts with mixing a small amount of color and testing it on your sample. We examine it in sunlight and indoors. We adjust the color accordingly and re-examine until we are content with the formula. This is a painstaking process done with a professional eye. No computer can read the color on a textured surface nor write a formula as accurately, and certainly not without human refinement. This is especially true with base-and-print or marbled aniline leathers.
We then expand the formula to the desired volume. This final color is tested once more on the original sample and adjusted if necessary. We then use the Custom Color to stain a piece of leather or vinyl. Half is returned to you with your order (and any components you may have sent); the other is retained on file in the event of a future re-order.
Our reviews and this video show how pleased others have been with this service.
Swatches often do not resemble their faded counterparts. If so, neither will our mix, and you may have to recolor the entire piece. In this instance, you may prefer going with a less expensive stock option.
These are DIY products. Half the magic is in the application process. Our products are easy to use and forgiving but require some creativity and experimentation on your part.
Most samples that we receive are base-and-print or multi-toned. We mix a single color that your eye reads as a match from a short distance. You can choose to work with a single color or two, but replicating the appearance of the original material is up to you.
Matching fees are non-refundable. We cannot accept returns on Custom Colors unless we find fault in the product or match to the sample provided. Please read our return policy.