Yes, Rub ’n Restore® Colors and Clear Prep+Finish™ can be applied with a spray gun. We still recommend using a sponge to apply the first coat of color, because it massages the pigment into the grain.
We always liked siphon detail guns (rather than gravity guns), because the cup can be removed without having to empty the color, and they do well with thinner, specialized coatings like Rub ‘n Restore®. However, siphon guns are not HVLP (high volume, low pressure) in accordance with environmental laws. If you opt for an HVLP gravity gun, choose a smaller “detail” one.
Follow these easy steps for spray application:
- Thoroughly stir the color, and filter it to remove any solids.
- Start with low air flow, fluid flow, and no fan. Experiment on a piece of cardboard, and adjust the settings as needed.
- Spray approximately 6″-8″ from the surface, moving in smooth, swift strokes.
- Allow each coat to dry before applying another. Avoid puddling in any area. If you do, disperse it with a damp sponge, allow to dry, and then re-spray.
- Clear Prep+Finish™ can be immediately applied. Use a low fluid flow for a satin finish. Increase for semi-gloss and glossy finishes.
Rub ‘n Restore® is water-based. Clean your spray gun with soap and water, followed by alcohol or paint/lacquer thinner to remove excess moisture and prevent rust.
CAUTION: Any color containing white pigment also contains quartz silica. Prolonged exposure to airborne silica can cause silicosis and lung damage, so a mask or respirator is recommended by the Safety Data Sheet. Having said that, CC & Lesandre sprayed white pigment daily (CC from 1987-2015; Lesandre from 2000-2015) without respirators. Neither have developed any lung injury. Click here for more info and SDS for all our products.
Initial application on a 25′ pontoon boat has been fantastic! After a few more coats, I believe that it will look as good as new vinyl. I covered terribly mildew stained vinyl and it covered very well. So far I have used 16oz. of Marine white and have placed a second order for 8oz. and clear coat. Will send pictures after job is finished. Appreciate the videos and high quality products.
Steve at Smith Mountain Lake, VA