Vintage amps, speakers and guitar cases made of Tolex, Rexine or vinyl cloth can be beautifully repaired with super glue, baking soda, and some of our groovy Rub ‘n Restore® color. This method is also great for repairing gouges in plastic or fiberglass. Beware: collectible items may be devalued by a repair, no matter how flawless.
This video demonstrates on an old record box found in a Los Angeles alley.
- 0:08 – What are Tolex and Rexine?
- 0:39 – Super glue and baking soda epoxy intro
- 1:08 – Color the surface
- 1:42 – Dry the color
- 1:54 – Apply super glue
- 2:26 – Catalyze with baking soda
- 2:45 – Sand with 320 grit wet-or-dry
- 2:55 – More super glue
- 3:09 – More baking soda
- 3:14 – More sanding
- 3:23 – More color
- 3:34 – Contraindications: don’t use this method for flexible upholstery, leather, or vinyl
- 3:54 – Finished result!